|字體：小 中 大|
Linguist Louise Bankss daughter, Hannah, dies in adolescence from an incurable illness.
Twelve extraterrestrial spacecraft silently hover over disparate locations around the Earth. Affected nations send military and scientific experts to monitor and study them; in the United States, U.S. Army Colonel G.T. Weber recruits Banks and physicist Ian Donnelly to study the craft above Montana. On board, Banks and Donnelly make contact with two seven-limbed aliens, whom they call "heptapods"; Donnelly nicknames them Abbott and Costello. They both begin researching the aliens’ written language of complicated circular symbols, sharing results with other nations. As Banks studies the language, she starts to have flashback-like visions of her daughter.
When Banks is able to establish sufficient shared vocabulary to ask why the aliens have come, they answer: "Offer weapon". However, China translates this as "Use weapon", prompting them to break off communications, and other nations follow. Banks argues that the symbol interpreted as "weapon" might mean "tool", and that Chinas translation likely results from the their interaction with the aliens using a highly competitive winner-take-all game.
Rogue soldiers plant a bomb in the Montana craft. Unaware, Banks and Donnelly re-enter the alien vessel, and the aliens give them an extremely complex message. Just before the bomb explodes, one of the aliens ejects Donnelly and Banks, knocking them unconscious. When they reawaken, the military is preparing to evacuate in case of retaliation, and the craft has moved out of reach.
Donnelly discovers that the symbol for time is present throughout the message, and that the writing occupies exactly one-twelfth of the 3D space in which it is projected. Banks suggests that the full message is split among the twelve craft, and the aliens want all the nations to share what they learn.
Chinas General Shang issues an ultimatum to his local alien craft, demanding that it leave China within 24 hours. Russia, Pakistan, and Sudan follow suit. Communications between the international research teams is terminated as worldwide panic sets in.
Banks goes alone to the craft, and it sends down a transport pod. Abbott is dying from the explosion; Costello explains that they have come to help humanity, for in 3,000 years they will need humanitys help in return. Banks realises the "weapon" is their language, which changes humans linear perception of time, allowing them to experience "memories" of future events. Bankss memories of her daughter, Hannah, are premonitions; her daughter will not be born until some time in the future.
Banks returns to the camp as it is being evacuated and tells Donnelly that the alien language itself is the "tool". Reflecting the Sapir–Whorf hypothesis of how language shapes perception, those who master the language are able to perceive the future and past. She has a premonition of a United Nations event celebrating newfound unity following the alien arrival, in which Shang thanks her for having convinced him to call off the attack by calling his private number and reciting his wifes dying words: "War doesnt make winners, only widows."
In the present, Banks steals CIA-agent Halperns satellite phone, a rarity when phones have been confiscated on the base, and calls Shangs number to recite the words. The Chinese announce that they are standing down and release their twelfth of the message. The other countries follow suit, and the twelve craft depart.
During the evacuation of the camp, Donnelly expresses his love for Banks. They talk about life choices and whether he would change them if he could see the future. Banks knows that she will agree to have a child with him despite knowing their fate: that Hannah will die, and Donnelly will leave them after she reveals that she knew this.(R.2)
1.Languages will bring a window to the world. A global view to the future needs our cooperation to connect all the puzzles together and spin the map of future. It will also brings us power to face here and now
2. language itself, freed from our usual sense of its linear form, might be more important than anyone thought. It is the human intuition, vulnerability and spontaneity that finally enable us to reach out to the visitors.(R.3)
7. Louise knew what will happen in her life about her daughter of cancer and divorce with her hub, she has the courage to face it and accept it. Gladly serve under the power of nature could be the power of multiple language ability which give her more windows to the world and help her deal with here and now.
8. Different people in the world, touch part of the language of the world, only if we wanna cooperate with each other, we can solve the problem of the world together. Unless we will face the death together.
10.non-zero-sum describes a situation in which the interacting parties aggregate gains and losses can be less than or more than zero. A zero-sum game is also called a strictly competitive game while non-zero-sum games can be either competitive or non-competitive. Zero-sum games are most often solved with the minimax theorem which is closely related to linear programming duality, or with Nash equilibrium.Humans have a cognitive bias towards seeing situations as zero-sum, known as zero-sum bias.(R.6)
11.Louise’s daughter’s name is Hannah which means palindrome. It reads the same backward and forward. Death connects to rebirth.
1. Despite knowing the journey and where it leads. I embrace it and I welcome every moment of it.(R.1)
2. Arthur C Clarke famously said there are just two possibilities: that we are alone in the universe, or we aren’t, and both are equally terrifying. The first terror is harder to put on film, but director Denis Villeneuve brings the second to life with this freaky and audacious contact sci-fi – and makes it something other than terror.(R.3)
Questions about "Arrival "
1.which one is the foundation of civilization, "language "or "sciences"
2.in the movie ,Louise foresee her whole life and she accept it without trying to change or stop her destiny .Do you like to have these ability of foreseeing ?
We foresee our death, still keep going. But if we foresee how we deal with death, we will lost our courage to face it.
3.the aliens live in a timeless world ,and still worry about what will happen 3000 years later .Do you think any other reason for this strange behavior to visit the earth?
Love is the reason for his concern about the eath.
4. "Weapons or gifts" ,"war or peace "shows the power and values of communication .what do you think about communication?
Misunderstanding lead us to bring the war, understanding lead us to bring the gift
5.Do you enjoy this story?
1.movie review: https://cm3350658.pixnet.net/blog/post/457620254-%E3%80%90%E9%9B%BB%E5%BD%B1%EF%BC%B8%E5%B0%8F%E8%AA%AA%E3%80%91%E7%95%B0%E6%98%9F%E5%85%A5%E5%A2%83-arrival-%E8%88%87%E5%A6%B3%E4%B8%80%E7%94%9F%E7%9A%84%E9%A0%90
4.”Kangaroo” comes from the misunderstanding from Australian aboriginal words “ I don’t know” https://www.yourdictionary.com/kangaroo
5.non-zero sum game: https://wiki.mbalib.com/zh-tw/%E9%9D%9E%E9%9B%B6%E5%92%8C%E5%8D%9A%E5%BC%88
6. Zero sum game: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-sum_game
9.Arrival Review shared by Joe” https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrival_(film)
Thanks to Torey to recommend the movie " Arrival" to us, It is indeed a good movie, first, I couldnt catch the scene well in the movie, but I finally get across the whole text after through Joes good lead and a well organized questions, that all the girls had a heated discussion.
Movie Review for Feb. 3, 2020
Joe’s outstanding guidance lead us to see few notes of the movie ”Arrival” as follows:
1. Joe:The best personality we learn from Louise is courageous, peaceful and lead us the best attitude of the self-acceptance, empathy, no judgement to deal with unknown situation.
2. Sylvia :Earth has time concept, alien has out of time concept. The film is featuring in a way of Montage to present the stream of unconsciousness. Overcome the inner fear is the best weapon to deal with the world. Every words have double-edged sword’s meanings: weapon vs gift. Linear thinking vs circular thinking to find the balance via communication. Louise can predict the future after communicate with alien. Language is the foundation, understanding is the tool. When I were young, I prefer to choose different destiny, but, since now, no matter what we chose, I will not regret, cos we are connected to others. What is more important is not to change outside, but ourselves.
3.Amber:Love is the best answer to all the difficult questions.
4.Carol:3000 years maybe not so long for alien, eternal is a short moment. If I can choose my destiny, I would like to remain here and now.
Loyal to our choice and learn to make decision, pay for it and don’t regret.
Soul and thoughts~“ Time is life itself “
People define and measure what they observe from the nature, then define the society and the world according to their observations. People limit the society and the world according to their limited experience and observations, as they want to manage and control the society and the world. So they limit their mind and keep themselves away from open thoughts.
Be kind and mercy
Be brave and wise
Be open minded and tolerant
The future generation will have a chance to live happily.
6. Janio: From discussion, I feel so inspired
7. Florence :We appreciate that Torey helps us find such a great movie and thank you for Joe’s helping to sum up all the main ideas and offer great topics to discuss.
8. Emma:Languages will bring a window to the world. A global view to the future needs our cooperation to connect all the puzzles together and spin the map of future. It will also brings us power to face here and now. Before we start to communicate with each other, we need to learn from the visual communication, if we lost the patience to understand each other. It will cause the war. To deal with the nonlinear graphic heptapod language vs linear human language is the wisdom of love and patience.
Gladly hovering over multiple languages gives Louise more windows to the world and help her deal with here and now. Different people in the world, touch part of the language of the world, only if we wanna cooperate with each other, we can solve the problem of the world together, unless we will face the death together. Louise has the weapon to open the time and see the future cos she can really read “the message” and win the courage to solve it. Louise’s daughter’s name is Hannah which means palindrome. It reads the same backward and forward. Death connects to rebirth, past connect to the future, alien connects with earth. Eternal connects to short.
Thanks for Emma to help me sort and collect the contents of our discussions.
Our March. 2, 2020 activity:
Book: China Rich Girl Friend
Leader: Carol Liu
Time: 1 p.m. March. 2, 2020
Place: Qubit Cafe (Hanshin Arena) No.6, Lane 50, Bo-Ai 3 Road,
Zuo Ying District, Kaohsiung. Tel:07-3459477
Parking: in the basement of the Qubit Cafe
|( 創作｜另類創作 )|